Interested in hosting a Thirty One Party? Contact my friend:

Monday, February 18, 2013

Monas Hieroglyphica



Monas Hieroglyphica (or Hieroglyphic Monad)is an esoteric symbol designed by John Dee, who was the court magician to Elizabeth I of England. The word monad itself was used early on to mean "one" or "ultimate". As a philosophy, and this is a very simplistic explanation as the philosophy itself is much more complex, it is an indivisible or impenetrable substance that is the basis for all reality. (And yes, that is my very simplistic view of it which I state up front).

What led me on this search was a symbol I saw in the advertisements for a new movie coming out in which the symbol looks remarkably similar to Dee's Monas Hieroglyphica. From what I have read for myself Dee's symbol is a combination of the cross, moon, sun, and Aries. Interestingly when the numerology is done for this particular symbol, according to Catherine Beyer, you get the number 7 the number of God or favored by God. Though as we know there are 72 names for God.

It is for me something I am still studying but it is an interesting symbol none the less. For my ceremonial magicians I know this description is very short and does not due justice to the work of Dee.

Anora xx

No comments:

Post a Comment